What is a Union?
A union is a legally sanctioned, formally organized association of workers which exists for the purpose of collective bargaining with the employer concerning the terms and conditions of employment and the fair representation of workers under this agreement.
What do they do?
A Union's primary objective is to secure good contracts for its members and to enforce the provisions of that contract. The Union also administers some of the contract's important benefits directly. Pilot Union's also consist of several committees to address needs specific to pilots. Some of examples include, Safety Committee, Regulatory Compliance Committee, Critical Incident Response Program and Professional Standards Committee.
Working under a Collective Bargaining Agreement provides secure working conditions and pay. It also provides a mechanism through the grievance process to enforce the mutually agreed upon contract and collect “damages” if the company chooses to violate the contract. For example: The NetJets pilots just won a class action grievance for scheduling violations. The total sum awarded to the pilot group for the contract violation was over 5.8 million. Working under the auspices of a bargaining agreement would prevent unilateral changes to working conditions unless agreed upon by the Union and the company.
Why the teamsters?
- Your local directs the bulk of your dues collection
- The Teamsters leave 75% of your dues at your local for your elected leadership to spend as they see fit to address your concerns. The other 25% goes to the International which provides legal and financial support when needed. (ALPA locals send 75% of their dues to the International)
- The Teamsters are 1.4 million strong!
- Aviation is a strongly regulated community
- Who writes and approves the regulations?
- What motivates most politicians?
- What does being affiliated with the Teamsters bring?
- The ear of the politicians that approve the regulations we must abide by.
- Local Autonomy
- The Teamster Constitution allows IBT Locals the leeway to serve their membership as they see fit.
What is the RLA?
The Railway Labor Act was drafted by labor and management and passed by Congress in 1936 without amendment. It differs from the National Labor Relations Act passed in 1926 in that it prevents labor groups the ability to go on strike at will. The intent is to ensure that interstate commerce is not affected due to labor unrest. The RLA outlines the processes in which we bargain.
Why do we bargain under it?
An operator that possesses an Air Carrier Certificate dictates that governance under the auspices of the RLA.
What about dues?
Union Dues range anywhere from 1-3% of your salary and are tax deductible. Current Local 1108 dues are 1.56% of the pilot’s gross salary in addition to an initiation fee. Initiation fees are waived for newly organized pilot groups.
NOTE: Local 1108’s dues policy is different from the IBT policy. Most IBT members are governed under the National Labor Relations Act which means that it takes less time and is less expensive to negotiate a contracts.